Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Annual YMCA Dump and Run

I am a sucker for treasure hunts in thrift stores and garage sales.  It takes a lot of willpower for me to ignore yard sale signs and keep driving no matter how much they beckon to me. And there's nothing like garage sales here in the US. So many great finds for loose change!

The Dump and Run is the mother-of-all garage sales. This year, it was held on August 21-22, 2010.  It is a collaborative effort between the YMCA and the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of UIUC who give free admission tickets to international students. It always occurs sometime before the Fall semester starts and is designed to help international students in purchasing essential home items for very cheap prices. A lot of local residents also come and get great deals. It's held at the Stock Pavilion along Pennsylvania Avenue.


I don't know about you, but this is sooo exciting for me!

I have attended this event every single year since I arrived in 2006 and I always need a few moments to calm down myself down before I hyperventilate and faint from the excitement. It's so huge and wondrous and grand and I love it!! It's the one place I can buy a winter coat, a part of boots, a really pretty skirt and a serving dish, all for $3! I've since gotten rid of the boots.  I've enjoyed it throughout its usable lifetime and it was just time to let it go.  But it's hard to feel guilty throwing out something that's worth only 50 cents.

We have gotten so many great stuff from this event. Practical stuff for the kitchen  and dining room is always cheap and great to have.  I always visit the clothes, linens, kitchen and decor section while Edward goes directly to the computers, hardware and electronics. I have no idea what he picks up there but apparently he knows what they are. Oh, this year, he got us a paper shredder and some really great-sounding speakers for the computers at the $3 bag sale! I got a linen bed skirt with crochet trimmings for $1 and a 6 dining chairs (Ikea and Ethan Allen!) for $45.  I saved money AND had tons of fun shopping! You can't beat that for cheap thrills!

See?!? They're even selling doors! Didn't I say they sold all kinds of goodies?
One person's trash is another person's treasure! (And I do so love my treasures...)

This will forever be one of my favorite memories about Champaign-Urbana: 

"The Dump and Run - The Giant Garage Sale of Fun!"

Oooh... catchy!



-------------------------
UIUC INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TIP:
Remember: this is an annual event and international students can get free admission tickets at the ISSS office on campus instead of paying the $2 entrance fee on the first day.

Visit the ISSS website for more upcoming events.
http://www.isss.illinois.edu/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carleen!

    I love Dump & Run too! Since PSA is a student organization sponsored by the YMCA, we help organize Dump & Run every year. I love rummaging through all of the things there.

    Melorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, wow! All the more reason to support the YMCA then! Yey!

    ReplyDelete